Call it a compilation of all the crazy projects I've come up with over the years. Call it a how-to for things around the house. Call it whatever you like :) It's what I do everyday. My blog is really just a way for me to share what I've learned over the years about home improvement, interior design, organization, diy, crafting and home repair. And most importantly it comes from always working on a budget and forever wanting to fend for myself when it comes to anything. I hope you enjoy (and learn a few things along the way :)

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Disguise the inside of your glass cabinet with burlap

I currently have two built-in entertainment cabinets in my home, and I've always hated staring at the contents through the glass.

 
I wanted a way to cover them up, but allow the electronics to continue to be controlled by their remotes. Not to mention I didn't want a solution that required an expensive remote extender.

I tried frosting the doors with contact paper, but you could still see the components. I then thought what about a loose weave fabric? Went to Joann's and found this chocolate brown burlap. For 1.99¢ a yard, I thought...don't know if it will work, but it's cheap enough to take it home and try it.

 
Used a staple gun to attach it, and it worked perfectly. No trouble controlling the components and it hides everything perfectly.

 
Ridiculously inexpensive solution to a nagging problem around the home. Happy stapling :)

Notes:
-The burlap frays easily. So I will most likely staple a flip seam when I do this again in my game room. You know fold over about a 1/2 inch then staple.
- you can still slightly see a light or two behind the burlap, but it is almost entirely camouflaged (that's the clock on the right top side...the rest is reflection)

No comments:

Post a Comment